[TechAssist] Re: Networking question(off topic)...

  • From: "Tel-Tek Electronics" <teltek2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 19:12:35 -0400

Terry;
I just went thru the same thing a month ago.
Since I got high speed.
My suggestion would be this, and mind you...only a suggestion.
I presume that your shop is within Cat-5 distance, (Less then 300 yards)
plus or minus.
If you are running 2 computers without the hub, your cable will have to go
"twisted Pairs".
The beauty of using a Hub or Router, you will have the Cat-5 as a straight
connection.
I don't know if you have high speed connection to internet, but if you do,
and want both computers sharing that connection, use at least a Hub, and
even better, for firewall protection, use a router.
Also, if your computer with Win98 can take the XP upgrade, I would suggest
that you upgrade that computer, since anything above Win ME has the
Networking program, which makes it really simple.
I puchased a Hub with 2 network cards and all connecting cables for $85.00
Canadian.
Depending on the length of your run from one computer to the other, buy your
Cat-5 cable at home Depot, and ask them to borrow their crimper over the
weekend, (probably require a deposit).
BTW..there is a lot of info on the net to answer any questions you may have,
by doing a "Google" search under "networking".
Have fun....if you have specific questions, feel free to ask, but remember
it's been a month since I did it, and memory is fleeting...(Kidding)..

Regards;

-Ed-