[TechAssist] Re: Need help for HP Computer

  • From: HSWAD@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:55:29 EST

In a message dated 11/19/01 9:22:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gulftech@xxxxxxxx writes:
close everything you can on your taskbar and then try the defrag-its trying
to tell you that those programs are running. Hollis
<<
 Friends,

 I am in a near panic.  My shop computer is possessed.

 When it comes up, it has the following message:

    INTERNET EXPLORER
 Some software (Active X controls) on this page might be unsafe.  It is
 recommended that you not run it.  Do you want to allow it to run?  [Yes]
 [No]

 I click "NO".  Then when I bring up "My Documents" to bring up my
 customer files, I get the message again.

 Later in the day, the computer froze up.  I lost entries I had made since
 opening.  It froze up two more times today, but I had saved after each
 entry.  A couple times when it froze, there was a message something like
 "Not enough memory.  Close some programs to continue."  Couldn't do
 squat.  All frozen.  A couple times my MSN startup window popped up, like
 I was attempting to connect to the internet.  I wasn't.  It might take
 two or three attempts to close the window.

 For a couple of weeks I have noticed the light on my hard drive pulse on
 and off regularly for several minutes at a time and the machine attempt
 to access the A drive.

 I tried to run defrag, but it wouldn't run.  Got a message something like
 "Stopped running 10 times.  Do you wish to try again?

 For the record, it is an HP Pavilion 6635, 533MHz, with 64M SDRAM memory.
  It has run flawlessly for one year until the devil got in it a few weeks
 ago.  Now, it has me really worried.  I could call a computer shop, but
 with all my files on this one, I'd be in real trouble while it's gone.

 Thanks for any suggestions.  BTW, it goes without saying I know very
 little about computers, so be kind and "speak in simple phrases to this
 rookie!"

 Ken Smith
 Gulf Technical Services
 3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway