[TechAssist] Re: NSA (National Service Alliance).

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 00:52:55 -0400

What do you propose to do?  Maybe we should pass a law banning Wal-Mart and
NSA.  I hear lots of bitching and moaning about how bad things are, but just
what can you do to change it?  If you have to move or re-orient your
business, or re-train yourself to another field, or teach, or go to work for
someone else, then do so.  You will not keep NSA and other service
operations from happening with a few dozen or even a few hundred techs
complaining if someone thinks that they can make some $$ with them.

The economy does not owe you an unchanging market for your service.  You
have to be able to adapt to survive.

We focus on high end customers interested in custom home installations, mid
to high end products, and reliable, effective service support.  In a market
area of about 100K there is one other dealer/servicer like us, and several
shops.  We coexist with the Best Buys, Sears, etc, as well as with Decision
One and UPS.  The other dealer like us is taking on regional warranty
support for a number of brands while we stick with servicing only what we
sell for warranty work and do non-warranty work for most brands.

If the market changes to the point that we cannot find our place in it and
make a decent living while getting some satisfaction from the work, I will
find something else to do.  I just don't see it happening any time soon, but
if it does, I am ready for the next challenge.  Success is about finding a
way to make things work and doing what you have to do.

Leonard

From: Leonard Caillouet <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:44 PM
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: NSA (National Service Association).

>Exactly how am I doomed?
>
>Actually, I think the NSA project is likely to be a spectacular start-up
>followed by a quick decline.  They may secure some initially lucrative
deals
>with some manufacturers then they will get squeezed to reduce costs just as
>they are experiencing the pains of any growing business.  As affiliates
>figure out that they can do better in their own ventures they will be left
>with few experienced technicians just as they are having to become more
>efficient to survive.  Then the principles will sell out, the buyers will
>discover an empty shell, and it will be history.   The initial investors
>that get out soon enough will be the only ones that make anything.
>
>The key to success in the service business will always be the skill of the
>technician and large operations are rarely able to manage them effectively.
>The mid-sized service operation is the only level at which the industry
will
>ever be able to operate efficiently for products other than carry-in items
>that can easily be shipped to plants with enough volume to have monkeys
>repairing the same piece over and over.  The money in the service business
>is in the larger pieces that UPS and companies like United Radio will not
be
>able to deal with.  That stuff, along with installation, programming, and
>custom support will necessarily be done best by smaller, more stable
>businesses that do not treat clients and products as commodities.
>
>I also think a lot of one man shops will go away in favor of more efficient
>slightly larger, but local and regional servicers.  Some of us who are
>carefully defining our markets and are efficient will grow and survive.
>
>Perhaps you should be looking for a new business model if things are so
bad.

>Leonard Caillouet
>Electronics World
>1261 NW 76 Blvd