[TechAssist] Re: NP Caps?

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:54:30 -0500

Polar electrolytics have a much greater electrical leakage current with one
polarity of bias than the other. You have to apply enough voltage, say 15 or
20% of rated, through a resistor of, say 5K, to limit the current, and
measure the current that flows after several seconds. If you have an ohm
meter with a range that uses a 9 volt battery for test, like the Simpson
260, you can just use that to do the whole thing.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609