[TechAssist] Re: Mitsubishi VS-4551C chassis VZ2 No start up

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:42:43 -0500

There are some modifications, as noted in another reply.  I find it curious
that you don't know whether the SMPS is "coming up at all".  You might want
to do some research on how switching power supplies work and how to
troubleshoot them.  If you have no oscillation at the primary, just the
165vdc, it isn't running.  You can easily check to see if a SMPS is running
by looking at the rectifiers in the secondary.  No voltage on any means no
running.  Beyond that you need to check the obvious first, like electrolytic
caps, open resistors etc.  Beyond that you need to look at the specifics of
the circuit.

In general, if it is a Mitsubishi from the early to mid 90s check for leaky,
high ESR, and high DA caps throughout the set.  Also check carefully for CRT
coolant leakage.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World