[TechAssist] Re: Membership

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:05:12 -0700

Maxwell and All,

You are way too sensitive.  Al's remarks were not intended towards you.
As a matter of fact, it was directed at a friend of his.  Al is just a
wild and crazy guy who says what he feels.

I started in this business over forty years ago, spent a career in the
Navy, earned a couple of master's degrees, and turned full circle to own
this business.  I take that back...it owns me.  No rational human being
would say that over 100 hours a week is normal!

What lights my fire, and others, is the moonlighter who derives only
secondary income from the service business, operates out of their
basement so they have no business expense, (such as rent, electricity,
telephone, security service, etc., etc., etc.) has limited knowledge or
experience, has someone else tell him how to fix a set, then tells his
customer that the "regular shops" are rip-offs.  This type of person has
no idea of pressure or real business.  Have him or her own a REAL shop
where three or four thousand dollars must be earned each month JUST TO
STAY OUT OF THE RED.  Have them face the dog pound (Equipment that kicks
your butt!) every day.  Have them deal with customers who earn six-figure
income tell you they though you could fix their Sony 8mm camcorder for
$40 or $45.

This is a good group, made better through the efforts of Jay and Clint,
but it is a good group because OF the group.  With any group in life,
there is a learning process.  You get to know the group, you learn the
rules and expectations of the group, and you contribute to that group or
get out.

When I was in a class for my MBA,  I was part of a group project.  Five
of us in the group.  Our grade was dependant on that project.  One of the
members refused to do his part.  As leader of the group,  I tried to get
him to cooperate.  He did not.  He was ousted from the group and failed
the course.  The rest of the group received an "A".

A few words on "expectations."  (1) Someone actively engaged in the
electronics equipment repair business, (2) One who asks for help
(normally) only after making an effort to repair without success, (3)
Will read all posts with the mindset to help others, if possible, and (4)
Not engage in slander or individuals of manufacturers.  All of those
should seem obvious.

Others are subtle, but important.  All responses to posts should include
the previous message.  Responses, BTW, should be at the top.  I don't
know why, but maybe because that is the most current.  But we should all
do it the same way.  Some don't.  You have heard about "signature files."
 That, too, is just common sense.  You wouldn't think of writing a letter
without signing it, would you?  For a long time, I was typing out the
"signature file," until I realized that even Juno has, under EDIT,
"Insert Signature into Message."  I wish I had learned that earlier!

One last thing.  This is just me.  I wish each person would take greater
care in what they write, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
At least make an effort.  Some are so bad, that one could only guess what
they mean.

Thanks for your time in reading this.  I hope this clarifies a few issues
and helps to improve our group.

Sincerely,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services