[TechAssist] Magnavox TP3284, Chassis 32G700, no video, audio amp muted

  • From: "art bevilacqua" <abevilac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:46:35 -0500

This set was in a year ago for no video, and resoldering the CRT board
ribbon cable solved that.

One month ago, no video again. Freezing the cathode driver chip on the =
CRT
board would bring back video, so we replaced it.

Now the customer says the screen went all colors and went black. There =
is no
sound or video, but there is high voltage. I've found that the audio =
output
chip is receiving an amp mute signal, and the R-G-B drive voltages =
leaving
the main board to the CRT board are only .2 volts instead of 2.5 volts.=20

Unsoldering the eprom results in the sound amp being unmuted, but still =
no
audio or video (no on screen display either). Pressing front panel =
buttons
causes the front led to blink.

I understand these are problem sets, and would like to see if anyone has
conquered this particular problem.

A kind soul provided a service manual, but it's still difficult (because =
of
the digital highway) to locate the root cause of the video/audio loss, =
and
the major chips are too expensive to shotgun the thing.

Thanks

Art Bevilacqua
Essex Radio and TV
40 Main Street