[TechAssist] Re: MIT PTV VS-5007R

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:47:22 -0400

Just common sense to me.  How many FBTs have you seen fail by arcing out.
They rarely short internally to the filament winding but if you have a
winding around the outside of the transformer and it decides to arc, where
do you think it might go first?  Installing the isolation transformer seems
safer to me and can be done from the front of most sets.  It's only a few
bucks for the part.  Why not make a profit on the part and use the safer
method?  Also on a three tube projector you are likely to end up with
different filament voltages by winding the FBT.  For me it's as much of a
no-brainer as winding the flyback is for the guys that do it that way.  Just
a difference in philosophy...

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World