[TechAssist] Re: MIT PTV VS-5007R

  • From: Kevin <kevinstv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:28:12 -0700

Dang,

If I have a cathode to heater short in a directview TV, I isolate the
heater by winding an insulated wire around the flyback to induce the
heater voltage the same way the flyback normally creates the heater
voltage.  I then connect the two ends to the heater input on the crt
board.  You have to play with the gauge of wire and number of turns
around the flyback to get the proper voltage and brightness.  2 or 3
turns usually does it.  This should work for a projection TV as well.
This would make an AC voltage but should work the same as a DC voltage
for powering the heater.  I don't know if it would be beneficial to do
this for all three tubes and guarantee no cathode-heater shorts, or to
just isolate the one bad tube.  Other members should know.  HTH

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevinstv@xxxxxxx