[TechAssist] Re: Labor rates for PTV work

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:23:35 -0600

Matt,

Labor rates are not easy to discuss.  Not only is there a privacy issue
to some, it would vary widely from one locale to another.  Factors would
include shop overhead,  employee salaries, experience level of techs (How
long will it take for you/them to fix?), area economy, and supply and
demand.  If YOU need the work, the price falls.  If the cusomer needs it
fixed and you are humping to keep up, the price goes up.  Lots of other
things to consider, but the answers must come from you.

Often, there is a temptation to charge too little.  You may have fixed
this one in an hour.  The next one may be a dog that takes days to fix
and two trips to the shrink to get over.  You can't possibly charge
enough on the latter, but charge enough on the quick ones so the bottom
line is not in the red.  Remember, we don't sell time, we sell a skill
developed over many years of experience and, those of us who own the
shop, considerable economic investment as well.

HTH.

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32561
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:55:56 -0800 (PST) MATT SHERER
<skoalman61821@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello, I do work for a shop that now wants me to work
> on his PTV's.  I have worked on a few of these types
> but I guess it is going to be pretty regular now.
> What amount of labor charges would be proper for this?
>  Thanks for the input.
>
> Matt Sherer
> Champaign, IL

> SUBJECT field to the address above.