[TechAssist] Re: Isolation transformer question

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 13:42:35 -0500

Jeff, yes it will protect. The idea of isolation is that there is no
continuity between the primary and secondary windings of the
transformer. The secondary winding is completely separated from earth
ground so there is no problem doing so. My isolation transformer is
actually two regular power transformers wired back to back. I have two
70V 5 amp transformers with the secondaries wired together, hence 120V
input, goes through to the secondary at 70V and gets converted back to
120V at the primary winding on the second transformer. Works great and
there doesn't appear to be much if any noticable voltage drop because of
the dual conversion.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7