[TechAssist] Re: Infocus DLP? (customer called)

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:15:55 -0500

That's interesting, Jim. I have no hands on experience yet with DLP (I
have a good part time tech who's thoroughly versed).
I have gone on several warranty trips with him to observe, and on one
Samsung(I think) there was quite a procedure to remove the box, ballast
and bulb. I would not think a customer would do it. You had to be
careful not to strain certain wires that would damage a board I recall.
And what if it was the ballast /and/ bulb?Or a power supply. All these
as I understand will cause it to shut off after a while. I dunno,maybe
they are more user friendly now. Those were not.
Phil Bader

Jim Myers wrote:

>Any DLP of LCD with the lamp out can be fixed by the owner simply by
>replacing the lamp. TOPBULB.COM is where I refer out of warranty owners to.
>

>********************************
>Since 1972                     *
>Jim Myers                      *
>Telrad Electronics             *
>Fort Wayne Indiana             *
>********************************
>

>Phil Bader wrote:
>

>>Customer said he bought an Infocus DLP off Ebay about three years ago
>>for about $6000.00.
>>He ""knows whats wrong with it... The "light" is all.""
>>I said I wasn't sure where to get support from them, suggested he search
>>on line. he said Tampa was closest, (about 50 miles west) and he would
>>have to pay to ship it, and "they wanted a hundred dollars just to look
>>at it!"
>>I passed for several reasons, all related to aggrevation.I won't go any
>>further...
>>Whats the deal with Infocus DLPs? Troublesome to diagnose, mfgr support
>>good/bad? parts avail? parts cost? whats the scoop.
>>Phil Bader

>Lost Password:
>Email Archives:

Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)
3420 Recker Hwy. Winter Haven, Fl. 33880
Fax (863) 299-8821
email: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx