[TechAssist] High voltage arcing, what's the cause?

  • From: "Stefaan Van Slycken" <vanslycken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:32:11 +0100

Customer gave me a coin-op arcade game (mortal combat II) with the complaint
that it crackles & smells.  When switched on there's very severe arcing around
the HV cable - purple arcs from HV cable to demagnetisation and gnd cables
around the CRT.  I must say that this game hadn't played in a while and may or
may not have been stored in a moist environment.  What causes these severe
arcs?  Bad CRT, bad LOT?  I've never seen anything like this outside a CRT
before...
kind regards,
Stefaan Van Slycken
Van Slycken Elektro