[TechAssist] Re: HTML and Attachments

  • From: "T. Warren" <t-warren@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:15:47 -0600

I have run Win98 SE for the past couple of years without the Scripting
Host and have never run across any situation where the Host was needed...
I don't "automate tasks" on my computer, so the Scripting Host is not
needed in my case - others who do automate tasks might need the Host to
be active... So far, I have never run across any software that needed the
Host in order to run... I cannot see any downside to removing the Host...

It is important to note that removing the Scripting Host *will not* stop
all virus activity, but it *will* stop those viruses that use Visual
Basic code or Microsoft's JScript code to execute... One should always
run a good AV program and keep it updated regularly to help prevent virus
attacks... Removing the Scripting Host is simply an "additional" measure
(along with running a firewall such as ZoneAlarm Pro, etc., etc.)...

For those needing a good AV program and can't afford to buy one - check
out AVG Antivirus from Grisoft (www.grisoft.com) - It's Freeware and
includes free updates... I've heard a lot of good things about this AV
program...

For more info on the Scripting Host and whether or not to remove it:
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2573079,00.html

Just follow the links where it says "Text Continues..."

Again, it's your call as to whether or not to remove it - I chose to
remove it and have never needed it - Doesn't seem to affect the way
Windows runs, either...

Hope this helps...

Terry Warren
t-warren@xxxxxxxx