[TechAssist] Re: HP laser jet 4, shadow down center of print

  • From: larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:31:55 -0500

I cleaned the dust out and tried another new toner unit.
and so far it is ok.
I don't have a brush for my HP4 any more. and cant find a
carona wire.
where is it? in the toner unit? what is the brush used for.
my instructions don't explain it good enough for me to
understand.
Thank you all, for the tips.
Larry

David Lessard wrote:

> Larry, When you say you replaced the cartridge are you talking about the
> toner cartridge or the developer cartridge? The unit may need a very good
> cleaning. Random black vertical lines can be caused by a dirty corona wire.
> To solve this problem you need to clean the wire with the brush provided
> with your laser printer (see instruction manual). Be very careful not to
> break the wire, I sometimes use alcohol on a Q-tip to soak the corona wire a
> bit before scrubbing it clean with the brush. If the vertical lines do not
> go away an electrical charge is jumping across the corona wires. The
> cartridge needs to be replaced.
>
> David Lessard
> Alexandria Electronics
> mrfixit@xxxxxxxxxxx