[TechAssist] Re: Ghost 2001 users?

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 06:15:51 -0600

"Hickory" may be a joke.  I'm still waiting to hear from John
on that, I've never heard of it before.

You don't need to keep it under the capacity of one CD, just
use more than one CD.  Now it depends on what you mean by
'backing up'.  If all you want is copies of downloads,
documents, saved emails, etc, yes, this is what you do with
DCD (adaptec's direct CD).  Just drag the doc's to a CD, when
that one is full, use another.  This is what I have been
doing for years.  I keep a folder on the desktop for
important things, then periodically dump that to a CD.  On my
last new HD install, I had 11 full CDR's of
doc's/downloads/programs I had to reinstall.  But you can't
just drag folder after folder from a HD to a cd and call that
a backup.  It's not.  You cannot 'copy' any folders of
PROGRAMS that are INSTALLED already on a HD to a cd then
expect to do the reverse on a new HD, that won't work.  You
can only do this with file types like I mentioned above.  You
can also do this with a 2nd slaved HD, just have all
downloads automatically go to it, as well as all things you
save.  It cannot have windows on it or windows will see it at
boot as a dual boot system (at least in my experiences that
happened).  It can only be formatted, then windows will see
it as just another storage device.  I will probably start
doing this instead copying important things to a CD every so
often.  Both should be done actually, because the slaved HD
can always fail from mechanical failure, and if it does, you
still have the good things on CD's.  CD's are not a sure
thing, they can have a 'bad recording' and you may think your
data is on one of them and go to read it and get something
like 'cannot open drive E', 'cannot read from drive E', etc.
then that CDR and data on it is ruined.  In the case of a
cdrw disk, the data will be ruined but you can always
reformat the cdrw disk and use it again.  However, it may be
defective since the first time it lost data.

After you copy something to a cdr or cdrw, ALWAYS remove it
from the drive, then re-insert it in the CDROM drive, that's
CDROM drive and BE SURE you can read ALL of the data from it,
then you know it's probably permanently safe.  Of course the
cdr disk must be closed out to read in a regular cdrom drive.
What I do is check for data integrity BEFORE it's closed,
then I only close it to read in a regular drive after the cdr
disk is full, then I check it for readability in the cdrom
drive.  If it's ok, I then put it in a case and put it aside
for the next HD format.  You want the cdr disks closed so you
can read them in your cdrom drive after the new HD format
before you must install Adaptec/Roxio software; otherwise the
first thing you do would have to be install Adaptec in order
to read the disks.  That's just a matter of personal
preference I guess, but I prefer to have them closed so they
will read in BOTH cdrom and cdrw drives without having to
install the cdr software first.  If they are still 'open
sessioned', then they are not as trustworthy.  After a new HD
is installed and your data is saved to a cdRW disk, it will
only read in a CDROM drive that is of 'multi read'
capability, and on some, a UDF reader must be installed
first.  This is why I prefer to use cdR disks for permanent
data, and cdRW disks for outlook express backups and other
backed up data that WILL change over time.  Otherwise, you
just waste a cdR disk once it gets full of OE email backups.

As far as copying the ENTIRE HD, sector by sector for an
image of a HD, you can ONLY do that with a 'backup program'
like Ghost, Take Two, Drive copy, and others.  I have not
used any of these yet.  From what I understand, they all are
used from DOS (for obvious reasons).  You also restore from
the spanned CD's (or tape drive) from DOS to a new HD.  You
can only do this on a NEWLY FORMATTED HD.  If you do this
with a HD that has been in use for a while, these programs
also copy all the errors and data corruption.  You should get
a HD, set it up PERFECTLY with all windows updates, patches,
etc,...install all your drivers, etc, THEN use one of the
backup programs to 'image' that.  Then when that HD fails due
to mechanical failure OR simple data failure (in the case of
the latter), just reformat again and run the backup program.
You don't need to install windows or update anything, or
install your drivers.  These programs put the HD back to the
state in which it was saved in the backup programs.  I would
guess that before you run the 'restore' from any of these
programs, the OS AND SETUP MUST be EXACTLY as it was before.
You probably cannot backup a HD that (just for example) has
IE 5.01.123a on it, and try to restore that to a new HD that
has IE 5.01.123b on it.  This is JUST AN EXAMPLE, this MIGHT
work with IE, buy may not with some of the windows updates
and patches.  I say this because of the outlook express
backup program I use.  I backed up something like OE
5.5.1234, and when to restore it on a new HD that had OE
5.5.1235 on it, and the program said something like the
folder not found, or destination not found...........or I
believe it was more something like "destination folders and
restoration folders do not match".  So, this may too be the
case with the backup programs.  Something to keep in mind.
Many of the windows updates change folders around, (delete
some and create new ones).  Maybe someone that has used them
can answer this, I need to know it too.

All three of these methods should be used, certainly at least
the two in the first paragraph.  This way you will always
have your important data saved.  The backup method in the 2nd
paragraph is just to save you a LOT of time after installing
a new HD or reformatting your existing HD.  I would think the
true backup method would also work after you have installed
all of your programs.  It should restore them back the same
way it restores the windows setup and drivers.  Only someone
that has used them can vouch for that though.
-Clint

God Bless Us All &
Happy New Year
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
http://ComputerHardware-ConsumerElectronics.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 209-882-9602
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include our previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)