[TechAssist] GE/Samsung microwave ovens

  • From: MDileo0000@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:49:15 EDT

 There is a design flaw on recent Samsung based ovens that causes erratic
operation such as: power cutoff, display errors, erratic timer operation. The
problems are caused by microwave cavity energy bouncing back into the component
bay thru the magnetron cooling fan duct made of plastic and bombarding the
control panel electronics. I am guessing that the energy is being radio
detected
by the semis.

Wrapping the mag exhaust duct with foil will resolve the problem. Be sure to
ground the foil sheet to chassis metal. There doesn't seem to be any damage
done to the electronics.

Cheap fix for a cheap(cost) appliance. I can't imagine that this is a problem
not already archived somewhere but I was unable to find any reference to it
by Googling.

Dominic DiLeo
Atlantic TV
Freeport, Maine