[TechAssist] Re: GE microwave, GSU0421B- sliced keypad ribbon cable

  • From: HSWAD@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:31:34 EST

All the things you are attempting to do are illegal. Purchase a proper new
part or give it back to your customer.  If you jury rig and it fails you are
liable. 45 years experience here. Hollis

                 In a message dated 2/7/02 11:49:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< Subj:     [TechAssist] Re: GE microwave, GSU0421B- sliced keypad ribbon
cable
 Date:  2/7/02 11:49:23 AM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gary McCartney)
 Sender:    techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 To:    techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Ya, I think I am pretty well screwed on this one. The conductors are not
 copper. They are some type of painted -on substance. I also can't dig
 them out of the plastic. I've tried scraping and grinding and slicing,
 but can't reveal the conductor. I haven't ripped the keypad away from
 the plastic frame but I'm fairly sure that the ribbon cable and keypad
 are all one piece.

 Thanks for the reply.

 If anyone has some microwave keypads laying around that you are willing
 to part with

 , I have posted a picture at:

 http://www.number63.ca/microwave.jpg

 I do not anticipate at this point that there is any problem with the
 control panel.

 Gary McCartney

 McCartney Electronics
 7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
 Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
 Fax: (519)821-1530
 email: number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 J Silverman wrote:

 > If you can expose enough of the traces and if they are copper you may be
 > able to solder a jumper wire across the break. I have done this on
camcorder
 > ribbon cables where there was lots of $ at stake. Sometimes the copper is
so
 > thin and narrow it just falls apart in the soldering. I dont believe that a
 > paint will work as there is no way to support the ribbon cable. Sometimes I
 > just remove the ribbon cable and replace the whole thing with wires. If the
 > buttons and ribbon cable are one piece that wont work for you.
 > Jerry Silverman
 > Greentron Inc
 > 4 Newland Ave
 > Greenville SC 29609