[TechAssist] [Fwd: fix.Re: RCA CTC169CA,F27203WN.SMPS has raspy noise in stby: C4104question]

  • From: Phil Bader <philbad@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:39:00 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: fix.Re: RCA CTC169CA,F27203WN.SMPS has  raspy noise in stby:
C4104question
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:37:41 -0500
From: Phil Bader <philbad@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Topics of interest to consumer electronics repair professionals
<CONSUMERELREPAIR-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Replaced the 15,2.2 and 47 MFD caps around the SMPS IC.Now powers up
clean but tuner troubles.Off freq,hums,Not tuner. Tuner had no +33v. The
33V source at R4147 in front of the flyback was +140V both sides.(should
have been +140V one end, +33V the other)This was due to a blackened and
eaten trace at middle of board under a 1000 Mfd@35V cap (can't read
location#). Replaced the leaky 1000mfd and repaired the trace underneath
that coupled the +33v to tuner. Now tuner works OK. I saw the darkened
traces and just replaced the cap without checking continuity.Live and
learn.

Phil Bader wrote:

> The SMPS is audibly raspy in standby,and under power it disrupts the
> picture stability. I pulled lytic C4104 near the SMPS IC, a 15 MFD @
> 50V. It measures 15 mfd and the ESR was about 5 ohms, but was visably
> leaking fluid. Question. 15 mfd is an "off" value. Can I use ,say, a 22
> mfd? Of is there a time constant issue here? I will alsi change out the
> other, C4102 (2.2@100V) as usual.
To unsubscribe write to:
techassist-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with  unsubscribe  in the subject line.