[TechAssist] Re: Fusible resistors

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:06:33 -0700 (PDT)

Thats interesting, because I am working on a Samsung that came in with a
vertical problem per the customer. Didn't show up in the shop till I tapped the
board. I resoldred all the i/c pins and other relative components. Still no
deflection. Hit the area with freeze and got partial deflection momentarily
while a peaking coil smoked. I replaced the i/c the coil a shorted zener and a
lytic cap. The 5.6 ohm fusible opened also which I didn't see till I fired it
up again and had fold over. I replaced with a flame proof. It smoked and opened
up immediately.  Found another shorted zener. Thus the reason for the question.
A fusible didn't seem to work any better than a flame proof, at least in this
case. Some suppliers use the term fusible to mean flame proof.
                                                     Paul
J Silverman <greentron@xxxxxxx> wrote:
No. A flame proof resistor is made of materials that wont burn or smoke
excessively. That doesnt mean that it wont light up like a light bulb while
the circuit it is supposed to protect vaporizes and the resistor survives. A
fusable resistor is supposed to protect something by interrupting the
current.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave