[TechAssist] Re: Fusible resistors

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:08:44 -0400

Fusable resistors use an element that becomes permanently none-conducting
when it gets too hot. For example tin becomes tin oxide, aluminum becomes
aluminum oxide, carbon becomes carbon dioxide. Flameproof resistor could be
just a nichrome element encased in ceramic. If it gets hot enough to melt
the nichrome, without exploding, the nichrome is still conducting melted and
just becomes nichrome metal again when it solidifies. Flameproof includes
fusable by law.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave