[TechAssist] [ FIXED] Zenith PVR4660VK Pix is bowed equally on top, bottom, and sides, and convergence is bad.

  • From: "LeRoy Westlund" <llw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:35:13 -0600

Thanks to all for the helpful responses on this problem.
Doing a complete convergence alignment on this set, fixed the problem.
The key was to adjust the Vertical and Horz size pots on the sweep module by
using the green CRT only, before starting the more triditional convergence
proceedure. Once you have a good, straight looking cross hatch pattern for
the green, it is much easier to go ahead and converge the Red, and the Blue
to the established green pattern. You have to adjust for a 3 : 4 display on
your cross hatch generator. ( 3 vertical squares for every 4 horzontal
squares ). The actual number of Vert & Horz squares for each signal
generator will vary.  You need for this example, to set vertical size for 12
squares and horzontal for 16 squares. This will give you the 3 : 4 display.
There will be some overscan of the displayed sweep. Once you set the main
size pots, check a channel that has graphics at the bottom or top and make
sure it is not being clipped off. ( I used the Guide menu from a DishNetwork
receiver ). Setting of the Horz, and Vert size will effect the edge, and
corner convergence.

Hope this helps someone, who may run into one of these units that is so far
out of convergence, that you feel you are wasting your time trying. I hope I
never see one of these again, cause I turned controls til my fingers were
sore, and then finished up with a hex tool.
;-)

LLW

LeRoy Westlund
Westlund TV & Electronics
97 North Main                                "Where there's a will,...
Centerfield, UT 84622-0087           There's always a way."
Ph./Fax  435-528-3822
mailto:LLW@xxxxxxxxxx