[TechAssist] Escalera

  • From: "Dan Garris" <dgarris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:57:29 -0500

Hi Fellow Techs,

We just got our Escalera stair-climbing forklift moving hand-truck today!
http://www.escalera.com/moving/tv.htm  The S/H charges were less than I was
quoted. (trucked from CA to NC) $116. Didn't take long to arrive after
ordering. Several here have asked to post my comments but I've been VERY
busy today and have not had time to put the Escalera to actual use. I did
play with it some and tried climbing the ladder on my pick-up truck and
rolling it around the shop and trying the different attachments. I like the
unit better than I thought I would! From just looking at a video and website
- it was very hard to decide! I even thought about canceling the order this
morning (Monday) and then suddenly it arrived this afternoon by truck
carrier. Yes, it was expensive! But I figure so is my back if I continue
messing it up! Yes, it is heavy - but I CAN manage it (BTW my age is 40) I
can tell by seeing it in person that it will do the job (note: I may change
my mind but only time and use will tell) It does seem flexible also - I can
use it as a lift - I can move large sets in/out of shop - I can load sets on
the pick-up truck w/ optional Ladder I purchased - I can climb stairs or go
over thresholds easily. I'll still purchase another smaller lift for (medium
sized) 27-32" sets -(something close to a 2' X 3' Hyraulic Elevating Scissor
Cart w/ foot-pump and good casters - max elevating height 36" ) but the
Escalera appears to be a good investment for those large heavy PTV's and
TV's and a definite plus if I EVER have anything to do with climbing steps -
be it, loading something large in my truck or making a P/U where steps are
present. I also like the fact I can service a Large PTV now on this Escalera
right here in the shop - no more working on it on the floor when I am by
myself! (Purchasing a second smaller Scissor cart will do for the medium
sets -and- just plain olde good sense to have 2 different types of lifts
around the shop because one may being used and I'll have greater flexibilty)
I'll post more in days to come - when things slow down and I actually use
the lift. I'll order the scissor-cart this week also, with these two types
of lifts I hope to help my back and make handling those heavy akward sets
less of a burden. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind later, but right now
- it looks like a good investment. Time and using it - will tell the story
(I have 2 months to return for a full refund). Now getting a S/C for a P/U
on a RCA 36" TV (with simple T.O.B. problems) may be less challenging and in
time the lift will pay for itself. I talked with one Shop on the phone that
has an Escalera and he said it had paid for itself in the 6 months he had it
(They do alot of P/U). We don't offer P/U yet and I try to avoid it - but I
live in a retirement town and I felt the need to go ahead and invest in this
type of lift. I'll try to post my comments to the group here after I get
more use with the unit.

Dan Garris
Garris TV
New Bern, NC