[TechAssist] Emerson TV mocel TC2551RD, channel display won't go away

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:35:43 -0500

I have a customer who called me this morning, saying that a while back,
I used a universal remote to clear their TV's on-screen channel display
(they lost their original remote). Then they took the set home and 2
days later the display was back on screen and they haven't been able to
clear it again, with trying a number of different universal remotes.

They haven't brought the set back to me, but I am assuming they probably
hit a button on their universal remote which brought up the display and
now they can't figure out how to get rid of it. My question is, is there
any known faults with this model concerning the on screen display which
would help me deal with this TV? The customer wants me to find them an
original remote but I said that if I was able to clear the display with
a universal, that I didn't think an original remote would do any
different at keeping the display from popping back up. The only
advantage I can see with an original would be a dedicated, labelled
"DISPLAY" button which might be easier for the customer to reset the
display with.

Who is the Emerson parts distributor in Canada in cae I need to try and
obtain a remote?

Thanks for any help.
--

Gary McCartney