[TechAssist] Re: ESR Meter

  • From: Jim Myers <jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:59:13 -0500

The top scale shows ESR value for the capacitor you are testing, the
bottom scale shows capacitance values as a reference so you know what
MAXIMUM ESR value to expect. Rule of thumb is any cap that reads between
half scale and full scale, (all the way to the right) is probably good.
Any cap that reads to the left of 50% is bad or suspect. You'll get the
hang of it very quickly the more you use it. The really nice feature is
you don't have to remove the capacitor from the circuit to test it.

The Old Master Technician
Since 1972                     *
Jim Myers                      *
Telrad Electronics             *