[TechAssist] Re: DLP-LCD Lamp change charge

  • From: "Corey Brazell" <cohbraz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:05:09 -0500

These bulbs operate very differently than a regular light bulb does. I takes
a large voltage to "Strike" the bulb up, then a lower voltage to maintain
the light. I have seen problems where the anodes would seperate slightly
from their manufactured distance, and the voltage provided from the ballast
would not be enough to start it. The customer could tap the set, and it
would start, by vibrating the anodes slightly and making them close enough
for the voltage to arc and strike it. The customer didn't know that. He just
knew that he had to tap his set to get it to come on. I didn't know about
drawing to much current, but it makes sense. These ballasts monitor every
conceivable condition of the bulb to help maintain it's life.

Corey Brazell
Audio Video Electronics
12169 SC Hwy 121
Newberry SC 29108