[TechAssist] Re: Compaq 7400 computer setup

  • From: Jim Hair <Jhair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 08:45:06 -0700

Gary McCartney has the most profoundly correct statement so far relating to your
Compaq computer 80GB hard drive installation. In addition you will need a
bootable
floppy disk that provides CDROM drive access. Once booted to this floppy disk
you
will be able to access the your restore CD, without booting from it, and then
navigate using  DOS commands to the Windows installation directory/folder to
execute
the "Setup.exe" file to install Wiindows. The preperation steps of Partitioning
and
Formating the 80GB Drive FAT32 can and must be performed prior to your Windows
installation from this same floppy disk. All of this, of course, assumes that
your
BIOS/motherboard supports drives of this size without an upgrade or Flash-patch
if
available from the Compaq Web site for download.

Jim Hair, CET

Jim Hair, CET
Technical Services
Clackamas ESD