[TechAssist] Re: Capacitors

  • From: Joe Batchelor <jbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:36:12 -0600

I think it is very important to be able to substitute a part
on hand for one that must be ordered.  It is not practical to
stock every cap that is needed.
It is also important to understand what is going on so that
a wrong substitute is not used.

Each cap voltage must be greater than the operating voltage.
The value of the cap is the same as the replacement.  The value
does not divide as in series caps.

When one cap is reversed biased the leakage is very great and the
full supply is across the other cap.

Joe Batchelor CET TX 80