[TechAssist] Re: Capacitors

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:43:21 -0500

You hook them series opposing. I dont advise it except under special
conditions, like no DC bias and no very low frequencies. The caps must be of
twice the cap value needed and perfectly matched in value and leakage. They
would have to be rated at several times the circuit peak voltage.
If you draw an equivalent circuit for the electrolytic cap you will see what
the problems are. An adequate equivalent would be a cap with a shunt
resistor(leakage) and a shunt network of a diode in series with a
resistor( the semiconductor behavior of the cathode).
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609