[TechAssist] Re: Capacitor Question

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:36:08 -0500

Thanks, Jerry, for that explanation.  Whatever material used for the
electrolyte, we have all (or should have) seen the results of the
leakage.  It seems to me that s/m caps are the worst.  I just replaced 49
s/m caps on an Hitachi TV.  Mitsubishi is well known for e-cap leakage.
Most of the Sony camcorder problems can be traced to e-cap failure.

Don't know what the rest of you do, but I usually replace s/m caps with
radial-lead caps.  Not just for convenience, but reliability.  The only
problem usually is size.  There are many suppliers who stock miniature
caps.  I use very few used parts, but I save chassis with min caps.

Regards,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:59:19 -0400 "J Silverman"
<greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The electrolyte is conductive. Thats why they call it electrolyte.
> Modern
> cap electrolyte is not corrosive all by itself. It is ethylene
> glycol,
> water, and an ammonium salt, and and a little secret proprietory
> stuff that
> each manufacturer uses to say that their cap is better than the
> competitions. When you stick two pieces of metal in an electrolyte
> and put a
> voltage across them, this make an electroplating cell. The metal
> leaves one
> piece and goes to the other piece. While the metal ions are on their
> way
> from one place to another they are highly reactive and may combine
> with
> other stuff  encountered on the way to form a material known as
> crud. The
> crud may be corrosive or conductive or both. The crud piles up under
> chip
> caps, resistors, transistors, and ICs and forms marvelous new
> circuits that
> do the most unexpected things. The customer does not appreciate this
> miracle, even though you tell him that although his camcorder wont
> take
> pictures anymore it will cook hot dogs now.
> The "fish" odor is from the ammonium salt content of the
> electrolyte. If I
> ever get to Australia I will take a dump and get the answer to your
> last
> question.
> Jerry Silverman
> Greentron Inc
> 4 Newland Ave
> Greenville SC 29609
> 864 232 3889
> Fax 271 2080
> mailto:greentron@xxxxxxx

***

****
> CHECK OUT THE NEW CHATROOM! Just login and click on chat!
> The Tech Address Book:

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!