[TechAssist] Re: Can't Access Drives (4 partition Windows system)

  • From: Bil Green <magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: becyn <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:05:01 -0800

Hi Jim,

I have run a couple good anti-virus programs, and there doesn't
seem to be any viruses on my system.

I am quite sure that uninstalling RestorIt caused this problem,
since during the install it created a special partition, and
installs a program in the boot sector also (for dealing with
restore points if you can't boot up to Windows).

I have another backup of my Windows 2000, when RestoreIt was
still installed.

I am thinking about using this to replace my current 2000 and
then try to uninstall RestoreIt again (although there won't be
the partition or boot sector program for it to remove - what
problems will this cause?).

With my MBR backed up to a few floppies (and all files backed up)
I figure I can always get back to where I am now.

Yes, I did a Repair install of Windows 2000. Like every other
major thing I tried things seemed OK for a while, and then the
same old thing.

Bil

PC 1000
M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse generator
http://magpulser.com
Mammoth Lakes, CA
760-924-1000

mailto:magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

b> Got a virus scanner?
b> Weird things like this can also happen with defective software and/or
b> drivers also.
b> I had a bad burner software package shutdown any access to the "my
b> computer" tree because a minor crash would occur
b> due the drive with the bad software was being queried. I Removed the
b> offending package and all was well.

b> Thats just one example of software strangeness. Think of what was
b> recently installed that might have contributed to the problem.
b> Conversely, the Unistall process may have gone badly. Did you try a non
b> destructive system restore?

b> Jim McVey
b> McVey Alltronix
b> 327 Broadway