[TechAssist] Re: CTC203 won't start and click

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:06:10 -0800

I imagine most of us have done this, accidently.  After repair, you put
the set back together, but forget to connect the yoke.  Power it up and
see only a bright dot in the center.  You say an appropriate word, like
"darn," and plug the yoke back it.  You might say something else if
you've already put the back on.

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 05:21:52 -0800 Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> I have been pulling the yoke plug on direct view TVs on ocassion for
> many years and don't recall seeing a bright dot on sets made in the
> 1980 or 90s. Have you seen this?
>
> When talking to tech support I have not been critised for doing this.
> At one point GE recommended this proceedure to limit the HV and
> reduce the chance of blowing a HOT while testing.
>
> In the 1960s and 70s this was definately a no-no.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Bil Green
> 2001 TV VCR
> Mammoth Lakes, California
> 760-934-2001                          mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

> Sunday, January 19, 2003, 2:58:00 PM, you wote:
>

> >>One of the first things to do is simply pull the yoke plug . . . .
>
> JB> I would never tell anyone to do this.
> JB> It could burn a spot on the CRT if high voltage does come up.
>
> JB> In the good old days they had a jumper or interlock that would
> JB> break the B+ when the yoke was unplugged.
>
> JB> I would remove the CRT socket before trying to run a set without
> JB> the yoke plugged in.
>
> JB> Joe Batchelor CET TX-80
>
> JB> 1/13/03 10:44:42 AM, Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>Hi Pete,
> >>
> >>If you have way too much current flowing through the flyback then
> the
> >>problem should be in the collector circuit of the HOT (including
> the
> >>flyback of course). I don't see how the Gemstar module could cause
> too
> >>much current in the collector circuit of the HOT unless the horiz
> freq
> >>is way off.
> >>
> >>One of the first things to do is simply pull the yoke plug (much
> easier
> >>than changing the yoke or troubleshooting the whole circuit).
> >>
> >>With the yoke out of the circuit the HV will be much lower than
> normal
> >>(may even work if the yoke circuit was the problem).
> >>
> >>Good to scope the collector of the HOT also. Make sure your scope
> can
> >>handle at least 200VAC and always set the 10x probe to 10X or the
> >>~1500 or so volts will fry your scope. With the 100W lamp in series
> >>with the ~130V B+ you may get a reading on the collector. Somewhere
> >>around 1000VPP (without the light bulb), very clean pulses, about
> 12us
> >>wide, ~55us between pulses.
> >>
> >>You replaced the flyback, yoke, etc? I almost always check to see
> >>which parts are actually bad first. Whenever I guess, I'm almost
> always
> >>wrong. Expensive to replace a few large parts. Pull the yoke, ring
> >>test the flyback (or eliminate other possibilities first).
> >>
> >>You may want to put the original symptom back into this e-mail so
> >>people know what the problem is. I forgot what you said.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Best regards,

> [...]

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com