[TechAssist] Re: CAP KIT FOR HC3041 3 LINE DIGITAL Comb filter

  • From: "Tel-Tek Electronics" <teltek3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:03:50 -0400

Short of going rampant on this thread, the non polarized cap is there (C09
22ufd in switching Power Supply) because the voltage varies from +14V
to -14V. A polarized cap will work for a time, but loading and unloading is
not fast enough, and will eventually destroy itself. Due to the fact that
most of these non-polarized caps work at a reasonable low voltage, usually
50 volts or less, may not be instantly evident. But we all know what happens
if we install a 4.7 or 10 ufd @ 250 volts backwards. 5 to 10 seconds
(toast).

    I really don't believe a manufacturer would go to the trouble of using a
NP, if they could get away with a polarized.

-Ed-
Tel-Tek Electronics
Ontario-Canada

teltek3@xxxxxxxxxxxx