[TechAssist] Re: Band of snow on newer Funai VCRs?

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:07:44 -0400

Have not seen it but if it is a head switching problem it would just be a
narrow horizontal disturbance in the picture. If the head switching were
grossly off, you would see the top of the next picture below the band of
noise and you would see a gap in the RF envelope.
If the noise band is at the very top or very bottom of the picture I would
suspect that a guide post may not be seating. If it is in the middle of the
picture I would look for dirt on the lower drum.
Before doing anything else I would make sure that the back tension arm is
moving all the way out and not binding. Low back tension will keep the heads
from making proper contact with the tape and you will have a noise band. I
have had several Funai-made vcrs with bent and binding back tension arms
caused by other problems not taking up the tape at eject and the user
pulling on the tape.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave