[TechAssist] Re: BEL radar detector

  • From: Gaetan <techno1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:43:54 -0500

Gary , you are right and wrong at the same time ......
let me explain .....
police got the permission using frequencies , and those frequencies still
remain the same since (talking about X and K bands )
they are still using those frequencies and bands , even today .
the only upgrade they have done , is their equipments (much smaller) to
shoot at you (they don't need tripods and big stands anymore hehehehe)
and they are using traps now (that's a zone of self relaying
readers-detectors (good in tunnels too), infrared detectors (these too are
very good in tunnels) and laser beam readers (those fine microprocessors
unit , to catch (well , let's say read) your license plate numbers )
nice technology hey ! :)

by the way , I am asking : how to check radar detectors on the bench ? if
it detects (would a leaky microwave oven do the job ??)

Gaetan Bourgouin
Techno Logik
Terrebonne  Que. Ca.
techno1@xxxxxxxxxxxx

>Gaetan, I'm not a radar detector expert at all, but it seems to me that
>perhaps one that old might be useless today, meaning that the technology
>has probably changed and that detector won't find most of the radars
>used today.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.
>

>Gary McCartney
>
>McCartney Electronics
>7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
>Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
>Fax: (519)821-1530
>email: number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>Gaetan wrote:
> >
> > Had a customer today , bringing an old BEL radar detector , for re-wiring .
> > supposed to work fine , but been removed from his old car a few years ago ,
> > and the wiring from the little remote box is missing :(
> > little remote box consist of a 3 position switch (off , on , and on with
> > buzzer) two LEDs (green & red) few resistors , a capacitor , and a
> > miniature piezo buzzer.
> > I can see few braids on a solder , so i'm sure there was a wire connected
> > there , but ...... need advice for other wires connections .
> > I don't have a model number thou , every stickers on aluminum box been
> > removed many years ago (probably by rain etc) , and little box (remote) say
> > nothing but BEL on it .
> > i've check pcboards too , and they are without any traces of marking ,
> > anywhere .
> > customers told me it was and old model , maybe 15-20 years ago ..
> > that's all I have as info
> > anyone can help me on this one ??
> > p.s. wiring on the main unit is there , as a start point at least.
> >
> > Gaetan Bourgouin
> > Techno Logik
> > Terrebonne  Que. Ca.
> > techno1@xxxxxxxxxxxx