[TechAssist] Re: Antique tube # 80 or 5X3

  • From: mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx (Old TV Man)
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:30:22 -0500

Thanks to everyone who helped on this.
I found a #80 tube.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx(Old=A0TV=A0Man) Date: Tue, Jun 28, 2005, 6:32pm To:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [TechAssist] R: Antique tube # 80 or
5X3 Reply=A0to: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Jim. NTE 125 is 1000 PRV-2.5 amps. I have an old NRI schematic
(Crosley) that shows the 2 large pins as filaments and the 2 small pins
as plates. Shows B+ as 280 volts. So where you say plate to cathode I
would think the neg side would go to the filaments and cathode to the
plates.
I agree about the authenic look.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From: becyn@xxxxxxxxxx(becyn)
Date: Tue, Jun 28, 2005, 6:58pm (CDT+1) To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: Antique tube # 80 or 5X3 Reply=3DA0to:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Max,
I don't know the specs for the NTE 125, but in an application like that,
use TWO diodes good for 1 amp or better at 1000PIV in series from each
plate to cathode and it will work fine. Some of those old sets had very
high B+, up to 550V .

To keep the authentic look, I'd leave the old tube in it's socket and
wire the
diodes under the chassis. Since these oldies didn't believe in fuses, I
like to add
500ma pico fuses to protect the transformer against a dead shorted
rectifier diode.

Jim McVey
McVey Alltronix
327 Broadway
Newburgh N.Y. 12550
"If it doesn't play...
CALL MCVEY !!!!!!"
Factory authorized
service for over 20
major brands.
845 561 8383
(Last of the Mohegans)

Old TV Man wrote:

I have an old crosley radio that uses a #80 tube as a rectifier. Since I
can't find one is it possible I could take a 4 pin socket and make a
rectifier with some NTE 125's.
Maybe some of you educated engineers can help on this.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL