[TechAssist] Re: Analog TV Broadcasts Will Stop in: xxxxxx ?

  • From: "J. Knoll" <jaystv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:24:22 -0400

Hee hee hee. "coon-asses" Oh boy!!!! We will see what happens as the
deadline nears. The FCC has been known in the past to be pretty hard
to deal with.   Jay

On 5/21/05, Leonard Caillouet <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cable systems currently broadcast both digital and analog signals and wil=
> continue to do so for many years after OTA goes digital because there is
> little reason to change until most analog tuners are out of service.  The=
> will cut back on analog when it becomes cheaper to supply converters to t=
he
> remaining analog sets than to send the analog signals.  Of course, the
> majority of us get cable and/or sat anyway and OTA analog is irrelevant.
>=20
> Don't expect OTA analog shut-off at the end of 2006.  The people that wil=
> be affected are the elderly, poor, and rural voters, and politicians will
> play not want to piss them off.  There will be loud populist cries from
> legislators trying to protect these constituents against the "bad"
> broadcasters and the FCC.  Even Billy Tauzin, who pushes harder than anyo=
ne
> for the cutoff, will get lots of pressure from a lot of old coon-asses an=
> poor folks in Louisiana.  When it finally does happen, expect calls for
> service from people who get blindsided by it and can't get anything with
> their rabbit ears any more.
>=20
> I would not be in a hurry to get a converter.  The fifth generation chips=
et
> from LG is reported to handle multipath far better than previous
> implementations and it will be a while before they are available in discr=
ete
> converters.  If you want to receive OTA digital and HD right now the
> cheapest way to do so is to find a dead or obsolete HD satellite receiver=
.
> They all have OTA tuners and most fail in the sat tuner.  They often stil=
> work for OTA and can be had for next to or actually nothing.  I've been
> using one in the shop and it works great., other than the fact that ATSC
> seems to be more sensitive to multipath than analog.  The pix is clearly
> superior, even with SD, in most cases.
>=20
> Leonard Caillouet
> Electronics World
> 1261 NW 76 Blvd
> Gainesville, FL 32606
> 352-332-5608
> FAX 352-332-5668
>=20

--=20
J. Knoll  TechAssist Monitor
TechAssist
225 Monticello Ave.
Clarksburg WV, 26301
www.tech-assist.org www.techassist.net=20
PS:
 If replying to this email, please include all previous correspondence.=20
 It is the only way we can get the full picture. Thank You!!!