[TechAssist] Re: Acoustic Research speakers AR93Q, repairopinions please

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:53:22 -0500

I made the post only because I have seen so many questions about measuring
speaker impedance wiith an ohm meter. The question displays a fundamental
misunderstanding of the meaning of the "speaker ohms" and of transducer
theory. For a simple speaker with a voice coil, the DC resistance represents
a power dissipating component that just generates heat and makes no
contribution to acoustic power delivered to the air. The significance of the
DC resistance to the overall performance varies with  the complex impedance
presented by the speaker dynamics and the acoustical load, which is in turn
affected by the enclosure and the proximity of absorbing and reflecting
surfaces and frequency. If the "speaker ohms" is representative of the
average equivalent  dynamic resistance over the useful range of the properly
installed speaker, and the DC resistance is a significant percentage of the
dynamic resistance, the speaker cannot have high efficiency.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609