[TechAssist] Re: Acoustic Research speakers AR93Q, repair opinions [FINAL]

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:22:38 -0500

Ed and everyone, thanks for all the great help regarding these speakers.
I had almost 40 replies. Also, I think I learned quite a lot about
speaker repairs. Basically it came down to 3 options. 1- obtain new
original AR woofers & midranges,
2- get the original speakers re-surrounded, 3- purchase new replacement
woofers & midranges (not original parts).

I decided the best thing to do was to call the customer and find out how
important it was for him to have these speakers in exact original
condition. His response was that he was not an audio buff who could tell
the difference at all between original AR sound and generic replacement
sound, so our discussion lead to me purchasing Crown (by Cambridge
Speaker) replacement parts. I got them at Cathray trade supply in
Toronto as mentioned by Ed. All six pieces plus shipping and GST cost me
only $269 CDN. The woofers are 8 ohm 80W RMS with 60 oz magnet. They
looked heavier duty than the original AR woofers. They also fit in the
grooves in the cabinets without me using a router to make the diameter
larger. The midranges also fit no problem.

The resultant sound was very clear and warm sounding. The customer
seemed very pleased with the sound and my job repairing them. I do worry
a bit that the specs may not be 100% correct, such as input impedance,
Watts RMS,cross-over freq. etc. but I doubt he's gonna blast them at top
end anyhow. So far I haven't heard back from him with any complaints, so
I'm calling this one done.

I kept the original dud woofers and will later try to sell them on ebay
to some AR audio buff who might be in need of them. Will wait for a
while to make sure customer doesn't come back to me regarding repair.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4