[TechAssist] Re: About Canada Shipping Rates

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:02:16 -0400

There wouldn't be any further bills from USPS, but on the Canadian side,
thats a different story.

Here is the possible charges that I may entail on the Canadian side:

Brokerage fee: typically low amount if package shipped by mail, ex:
$5.00  to 8.00, or if                shipped by UPS, $20.00- 35.00

GST- Canadian federal tax- 7% on almost everything we buy

PST- Ontario provincial sales tax, 8%- usually not charged on package
coming in from out of province, however we are supposed to voluntarily
pay this anyway (we never do of course)
I am PST sales tax exempt so I could get this tax back if I was charged
it.

DUTY: yes there is free trade with USA and Mexico, but there are certain
items excluded and also, goods made in other countries may be duty
chargable.

So, I'm not sure what USPS was referring to when they told you there are
no other charges, but there are, and nothing can be done about it. You,
on the USA side, don't see any of this when you ship a parcel here, so
don't worry about it. Just please, ship via USPS to save us from the
couriers high brokerage fees. If you must use a courier rather than
USPS, then I have found that FED EX is the most reasonable in their
brokerage charges.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7