[TechAssist] Re: A resistor question.

  • From: MDileo0000@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:28:47 EDT

Kevin,

 A resistor can open under load if it is passing enough current to heat and
expand it to the point of opening while heated but conduct again once it cools
down and contracts. In 30 years of this business I have come across this maybe
twice and both were film types with metal end caps. There are some circuits
that show a resistor is open in circuit when it is actually OK and there is
nothing actually wrong. If you pull the resistor in question and reinstall it
with the same dysfunction, I would think problems lie elsewhere. What is the
value of it?

Dominic DiLeo
Atlantic TV
Freeport, Maine
*************

In a message dated 9/4/03 12:56:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, kevintv@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Yes, that was my question.  Can a resistor measure good "out of circuit"
>  but break down under load (fail) "in circuit"?
>
>  Kevin Wilks
>  Kevin's TV & Video Repair
>  Penticton BC Canada
>  kevintv@xxxxxxx