[TechAssist] Re: A question for ESR meter users

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:00:26 -0400

I am not sure whether you are speaking of current leakage or electrolyte
leakage but the answer is the same.  ESR is not necessarily affected by
other parameters, at least not early in the failure history of a cap.  I
have also tested many caps physically leaking electrolyte and found them to
test normally for capacitance, ESR, DA, and current leakage.  We perform all
four of these tests plus visual inspection and the "smell" test.

Leon.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World