[TechAssist] Re: A question for ESR meter users

  • From: "Bil Green" <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:50:58 -0700

Hi Jeff,

It is true that the Dick Smith can easily measure
DC resistance.  As long as you are checking a
regular resistor or something like that.  I believe
the limit is around 50 ohms for the DS ESR.

It is designed to measure AC resistance and
when testing a device that has no inductance
(coils and transformers have inductance, of
course) it gives you a very accurate reading
in ohms - if you zero the meter first.

Another good use is comparing the inductance
of coils or transformer windings (for those of you
that don't have a meter with that function).  It
will not actually measure inductance in uH,
but will give you a high reading that is very
meaningful.

Bil