[TechAssist] Re: 19 inch portables

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:14:32 -0400

I still get 13" TVCRs, 13 and 19-20 " TVs. I manage to get 60-100.00 range.
if you guys stuck to your guns and collected a diagnisis fee up front,
you would nail most all those repairs with few turn downs.
A 13-20" TV in the door: $25.00 up front diagnostic fee (applied to
their OKd repair).
A 25-32" set: $39.00 fee up front.
A 13-27" TVCR combi: $39.00 fee.
VCR  $25.00 fee.
Typical VCR repair: (maintanence,timing,etc) $49.00 - 25.00 dep. Bal
due: 24.00. That customer will go 24.00 tp not lose the VCR and 25.00.
They "see" the bal due, folks. Not deceptive, just covering our expenses.
A 27" TV typical bill:   79.00 labor+ 49.00 parts= 128.00 +(6.5% tax)
8.32=  $136.32 total.  Less 39.00 deposit: 97.32 due.
 The customer cannot buy a NICE DEPENDABLE WELL BUILT 27" TV for less
than a hundred bucks.
 I've added up all my month's small 25.00 fees on the "turn downs" and
they easily paid ,say, my phone bill, or electric,etc in a month.
I hear a lot of sad stories out there about cheapo sets driving down the
business. Be an honest salesman! Explain truthfully what you know as
gospel: Theat customers older set that had a good picture before it went
down, and only one failure in the ten years is worth TRYING to save, if
possible. The result is a sturdy piece of equipement that will survive
until he decides to get an HDTV AFTER the prices drop to more reasonable
amount.
Just EXPLAIN for five minutes and they usually will see the lifgt.
There's always the guy who thinks c**p is just as good as quality
items,just less money, no matter what, but that's not  a general view. I
say, "there's a 5.00 plastic Walmart hand bag, and there's a leather
75.00 hand bag. Both bags that hold the same stuff, but that's where the
similarity ends... Paint a word picture!
Oh, God, there I go again. Sorry, guys.
My 2 cents...
BTW I seem to stay swamped with 10-15 yr old sets, many are 20-25". AND
FEW RETURNS!. (I'm thorough in shop)
Not rich by any means... But busy, and have a few $$$.
Phil Bader

becyn wrote:

>yep, thats about it. At least you can save the money that you might spend on
>a gym. ;-)
>
>Jim McVey
>McVey Alltronix
>327 Broadway
>Newburgh Ny 12550
>ph: 845 561 8383
>fx: 845 561 9017
>Consumer electronics &
>computer service.
>Factory authorized for
>over twenty brands.

Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)
3420 Recker Hwy. Winter Haven, Fl. 33880
Fax (863) 299-8821
email: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx