[TechAssist] Re: 15000RPM SCSI RAID 0 problems

  • From: Scott Beebe <Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gemini Computer & TV <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:45:59 -0400

Hello Gemini,
Does it only do it when set up as raid? You may have a stripe problem, or
controller. Can you back up the data, and use your old controller without raid
to see if it's a HDD problem. Thats my guess.....

 Thanx,

Scott Beebe
Ohm Electronics Inc.
609 W. Clinton St.
Ithaca NY 14850
Voice: (607) 273-8406
Fax: (607) 273-8743
WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com
mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thursday, September 23, 2004, 7:35:24 AM, you wrote:

Gemini> On this computer, I previously had three Seagate 15000 RPM SCSI hard
drives
Gemini> (ST336752LW, ST336752LC, and ST318452LW) which all worked fine
independently
Gemini> (or NOT as RAID 0) with an Adaptec 29160 SCSI
Gemini> controller card. I then later
Gemini> bought an Elite 1600 Megaraid SCSI controller card so I could to
attempt a
Gemini> RAID 0 SCSI array for performance which was
Gemini> successful for quite some time.
Gemini> Then it began random intermittent system reboots. I was finally able to
Gemini> realize this was happening only when the SCSI RAID array was active as
it
Gemini> will never happen in any other configuration. I suspect the Elite 1600
Gemini> controller is the problem and I do not have another one to replace it
with
Gemini> for the substitution method. I may even choose to replace it with an
Adaptec
Gemini> SCSI RAID controller instead but since they are so expensive, I thought
Gemini> might throw it out here first to see what anyone else may have to say.

Gemini> Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Gemini> Master Technician License #9109
Gemini> Service Manager / Parts Manager
Gemini> Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarms
Gemini> (508)695-7302
Gemini> (508)695-7769 FAX
Gemini> geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxx

Gemini>