[TechAssist] Re: 1 pound roll solder, what's the linear feet?

  • From: "Peter oliver" <oliver_peter1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 02:15:11 +0000

My back of the envelope calculations area as follows:
Solder Density 9.630 g/cc
use 0.031" diameter (0.078 cm)
Cross sectional area 0.00487 CM^3
1ft -->0.148 cm^3
or 1.4293 g/ft  (.003148 lbs/lin ft) (317.6 ft/1lb roll)
Using mat's catalog list of $9.50/LB
gives $0.0299 per linear ft

Peter Oliver
Tucson Radio TV

From: "Damon" <damoneb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: 1 pound roll solder, what's the linear feet?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:50:01 -0500

Yeah I'm pretty fortunate that I buy and use from only 1 roll, so it
takes.....depending.....15 months minimum to 18 months maximum to go thru a
roll.
As for 50' solder wick.....maybe 2 or 3 months max.

Damon B
Telrad Electronics
Fort Wayne IN