[tech-spec] Re: Nested Loops

  • From: BBands <BBands@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:39:51 -0800

> Code is not meant to be understood...that's what comments are for.
> ( you do comment your code, right ? )

I'll let Paul Graham reply for me:

"Source code, too, should explain itself. If I could get people to remember
just one quote about programming, it would be the one at the beginning of
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs.

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute.

You need to have empathy not just for your users, but for your readers. It's
in your interest, because you'll be one of them. Many a hacker has written a
program only to find on returning to it six months later that he has no idea
how it works. I know several people who've sworn off Perl after such
experiences."

http://www.paulgraham.com
http://www.paulgraham.com/paulgraham/hp.html

    --jab