[team33] Re: Testing: Joachim

  • From: Yusuf Hasanogullari <yusufh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: team33@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:56:27 +0100

Hi man!

Sorry I haven't responded these two days, but I have been very busy.
Anyways, now I am going to fill you up on everything I know.

If you want to meet, I am busy from 8-12 tomorrow and the only free
time i've got is 13-14. I think it's better if you take my number and
you can call me when you want something: 073-648 92 95.

When me and Fredrik were going to do the testing on saturday, the code
wasn't finished. So both me and Fredrik did a lot of other work and
didn't get so much done on testing.

However, I did some testing work, and wrote the file "specifics on how
to test". That file will give you a good idea on how to test. This is
how it works:

In that file, I wrote ALL the methods that the other component groups
will use to connect to us, for example "getTicket()" and "removeArc()"
and so on. These methods are the only things you have to test. Then I
wrote which ones to test first, what data to send in and what data to
expect when doing the methods. So if you follow this plan, the
overview of the testing will be very easy.

However, there might be some problems with this. As I said, the
programming wasn't finished when I wrote this, and therefore some of
the methods could have changed. In Marcus mail (today 15.57) he wrote
exactly what methods will be used. So copy them onto the file
"specifics on how to test" instead of the ones I have written there.

The only thing you have to do after that is writing a program that
implements these methods in the easiest way possible. I am not good at
programming, and also the code wasn't ready when I wrote the file, so
I couldn't do the actual testing.

If you go to the repository and then:
\Design\pumpkinDB\src\pumpkin\test
you will see the programs Alex has written. Now I didn't understand a
thing from those, and maybe the easiest way to do it is to just write
a very simple program that connects to the DB and just implements the
methods used in the easiest way possible.

Also, I don't know if you read our mails back and forth from saturday,
but we will NOT include a clock to see how many milli-micro seconds
the methods take. That is, we concluded, totally unnecessary. Also, we
will not test the actual DB formally, as this is done by the people
who write it. Just write something about it being BCNF and write that
we have inspected it and stuff. So the only thing you will have to
test is the actual methods, and they are not so many.

That is all the information I have but if there is something you
wonder, you can call me.

Good luck!
Yusuf