[team33] New problems and experience, this time with GUI group

  • From: Yusuf Hasanogullari <yusufh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: team33@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:28:40 +0100

Hi!

Here comes some updates and some material for the experience.

There has recently been some communications with David from the GUI
group, resulting in major changes in our Java part of our component.

The events leading up to this point:

On a meeting with the GUI group, David had brought some UML diagrams
with methods that he wanted us to implement. Marcus suggested that we
also do a sequence diagram so that we could really see what was going
on, but David said that no no, it was enough, just "do these methods
that I have in the UML and everything will be fine".

Well, we did as he said. And we were almost finished just now, when we
asked him about some of the methods that we didn't quite understand.
Guess what, we got an answer that we had to change many of the
methods. Some new methods would be added and some of the ones in
Davids original UML diagram will not even be used! So we have done a
lot of work for nothing.

This is part of the bad communication between the groups. It would be
better to, instead of working every component by itself, to gather all
the programmers from every component and sit together in a room, doing
all the work together. That way, some inter-componential contact would
be made better and the work would go much easier. This especially true
since the components respective work affect each other. When one
component makes changes, the others are affected. If we don't sit
together, there is a huge risk that if one component makes changes,
the component that is affected by the changes will not get the new
information until it is too late (like now) and much unnecessary work
has been done.

Also, it is crucial that if one component makes changes that affects
the others, they have to make sure the affected components get the
information!