[TCUG] Re: Loops and ASL's - an open question!

  • From: "Parrett, Simon" <simon.parrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:50:11 +0100

Without risk being too pedantic page4 of the Highway Code states that:

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey
these rules you are committing a criminal offence. ....... Such rules are
identified by the use of the words MUST/MUST NOT....."

The use of the word MUST in rule 154 indicates that vehicles passing the
first line at an ASL are committing an offence under RTA sect 36 (failure to
comply with a sign).

Things are a lot clearer with the proposed amendment to the TSRGD which has
under regulation 43:

Meaning of stop line and references to light signals

(2) Where the road marking shown in diagram 1001.2 has been placed in
conjunction with light signals, "stop line" in relation to those light
signals means-

(a) the first stop line, in the case of a vehicle (other than a pedal cycle
proceeding in the cycle lane) which has not proceeded beyond that line; or

(b) the second stop line, in the case of a vehicle which has proceeded
beyond the first stop line or of a pedal cycle proceeding in the cycle
lane."

So clearly both stop lines are legal signs and so ASL's will have a legal
basis at least when this legislation is passed.....phew!

See http://www.roads.dtlr.gov.uk/consult/traffic/regulations/08.htm for
details.

Simon Parrett